View Connector Trails
Shelburne Village Green across from Shelburne Country Store, just off Route 7.
This loop includes many additional experiences of great variety. Just south of the start on Route 7 is the Shelburne Museum where one can spend a day viewing its collection of Vermont culture. It should be noted that only 3 bridges are on the exact route shown above but 2 others are very close. The Cambridge Bridge is a part of the Shelburne Museum on Route 7, within 2 blocks of the starting point. If you turn left at the 15.1 mile point at Route 7 (see spur on map) the Spade Farm Bridge can be found in Ferrisburgh 1.5 miles south. Continuing south on Route 7, just south of Greenbush Road, is the Rokeby Museum on the left and on the right a camel can sometimes be found in the pasture.
The unpaved Prindle Road leads to a whole different world where it is hard to imagine that downtown Burlington is never more than 15 miles away. The Sequin Bridge, the classic Vermont covered bridge in that it is small, isolated and well preserved, is the feature of the loop. (Note: a bypass is available to cut out the dirt roads, but you will miss the Sequin Bridge.)
- 0.0 miles: Start at Shelburne Green across from Shelburne Country Store. Head south on Falls Road.
- 0.7 miles: Left staying on Falls Road 1.2 miles, right on Thomas Road immediately after crossing bridge.
- 2.2 miles: Bear right on Spear Street.
- 6.5 miles: Left on Prindle Road - the next 5.4 miles are well maintained unpaved roads through lovely countryside.
- Bypass: Cuts out dirt roads. Stay straight on Spear Street (paved). After 2 miles, arrive at Quinlan Bridge (jump to mile 11.9).
- 8.9 miles: Right on Roscoe Road.
- 9.1 miles: Sequin Bridge
- 10.2 miles: Right on Lewis Creek Road.
- 11.9 miles: Left on Spear Street after Quinlan Bridge (dirt road ends here).
- 14.0 miles: Left at Mt. Philo Road (caution at next corner).
- 14.5 miles: Right on Old Hollow Road.
- 14.9 miles: Cross Route 7 (Caution), store.
- Optional spur: Left on Route 7, 1.5 miles to Spade Farm Bridge.
- 15.9 miles: Right on Greenbush Road.
- 20.0 miles: Left in Charlotte onto Ferry Road at Old Brick Store.
- 21.1 miles: Right on Lake Street following Champlain Bikeway signs.
- 22.9 miles: Holmes Creek Bridge at Charlotte Beach.
- 24.3 miles: Left on Greenbush Road.
- 27.8 miles: Cross Route 7.
- 28.1 miles: Left on Falls Rd.
- 28.8 miles: End at Shelburne Green.
This is a designated Lake Champlain Bikeways loop, part of a 1,300+ mile network of bicycle routes. The Champlain Bikeway offers a 363-mile principal route around the entire Lake and along the Richelieu River to Chambly, Québec. This loop is one of many that provide 992 additional miles along a vast network of quiet back roads.
Visit Lake Champlain Bikeways online for more information and a printable map or contact:
Lake Champlain Bikeways
c/o Local Motion, 1 Steele Street #103
Burlington, VT 05401
Phone: (802) 652-2453
Check for nearby geocaches to Covered Bridges.
Leave No Trace Principle
Leave What You Find
Leave the trail work to the pros: they will add or remove blazes, cairns (stone trail markers), structures, and trail improvements as deemed necessary.